There are lots of ways you can stop a fire from happening in your home. Take a look at our tips below.
What should I do if there is a fire in my home?
If there is a fire in your home, it is essential to act quickly and follow these steps:
- Have an escape plan and make sure everyone knows it.
- Alert everyone – shout loudly to notify others in the home.
- Evacuate immediately – stay low to the ground if there is smoke.
- Close fire doors behind you to stop the fire spreading.
- Once you are safe outside call emergency services.
Fire Safety Tips:
- Learn escape routes – familiarise yourself with different exit routes
- Keep exits clear
- Take care with electrical devices – do not overload electrical outlets or use extension cables excessively
- Check wires and sockets regularly for any signs of damage or fraying
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Don’t put anything metal in a microwave that can cause a fire
- Keep your oven / hob / grill clean – a build up of grease and fat can easily cause a fire
- Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that may make you drowsy
For more information about fire safety in your home please visit Safety Advice - South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (syfire.gov.uk).