Before starting any improvements to your council house it is important to check whether you need our permission. There are some improvements that are not allowed:

For Safety Compliance reasons, customers are not permitted to install: Log Burners/Stoves or Solid Fuel in their home.

Do I need permission?

Some minor improvements will not require our permission, if you comply with our specifications and conditions. 

  • Laminate flooring
  • Internal Decorating / Painting
  • Removal/replace/relocate gas/electric meters
  • Installation of coving/mouldings/skirting
  • Installation, drilling & mounting shelves
  • Installation of internal doors
  • Water meter
  • Painting Fences & Fence Gates
  • Installation of Taps (Bathroom, Kitchen & WC)
  • External Painting - Concrete Windowsills, Mantels, Fascia, None UPVC Fascia, Soffit, Drain Pipes & Metal Gates

However for the following improvements you will have to complete a Customer Own Improvements Enquiry form.

  • Electric
  • Dropped kerb, Hard standing & Double gates
  • Garage / Car port
  • Satellite installation
  • Sheds / Greenhouses
  • Fencing & gates (not open plan)
  • Patios / Decking / Paving
  • Hard standing & dropped kerb
  • Porch / Canopy / Conservatory
  • External doors
  • CCTV and impact assessment
  • Kitchen
  • External Doors & Windows
  • Solar Panels
  • Boiler / Heating system

Whilst the above is not a complete list it gives an indication as to the types of work that will require permission and those that won't.

Rect Coloured Line (2)

Our investment programme

Here you can find out where we'll be making planned improvements to homes across Doncaster in the coming year

Find out more

Need help?

If you are unsure or need to find out about our specifications and conditions, please get in touch using the online form or call 01302 862270

Contact Us Form
How to apply for a Tenant Own Improvements


Applying for permission is free, easy and can be done in several ways.

  • Complete and return our enquiry form below.
  • Contact our Customer Own Improvement Team on 01302 862270 who will take an enquiry over the phone.
  • Call into our office at our Civic Building and complete an enquiry form.

Once we have received your enquiry your request will be considered.  This might involve one of our inspectors visiting your home to discuss your plans with you.

You will be notified of our decision along with any conditions that are attached to the permission.  If permission is not granted, you can appeal. 

You should not start any improvements or alterations until we have confirmed you can do so.

Planning permission, Permitted Development and Building Regulations

Sometimes the improvements you want may require planning permission, adherence to building regulations or confirmation that it falls within your permitted development rights.        

These are administrated by the City of Doncaster Council and may incur a charge. 

For more information please visit - Planning Portal - The UK Government's online planning and building regulations resource