St Leger Homes of Doncaster
Customer Own Improvements

Customers Own Improvements

Tenant Improvements

Before starting any improvements to your council house it is important to check whether you need our permission.

Do I need permission?

Some minor improvements will not require our permission, such as:

  • Laminate flooring
  • Internal Decorating / Painting
  • Carpeting
  • Floor Covering
  • Water meter
  • Drilling - curtain rail, mirrors, fixtures & fittings
  • Internal Doors

However other improvements will, such as: 


  • Garage / Car port
  • Satellite installation
  • Sheds / Greenhouses
  • Fencing & gates (not open plan)
  • Patios / Decking / Paving
  • Hard standing & dropped kerb
  • Porch / Canopy / Conservatory
  • External doors 
  • CCTV
  • Kitchen
  • External Doors & Windows
  • Solar Panels
  • Boiler / Heating system

Whilst this is not a complete list it gives an indication as to the types of work that will require permission and those that won't.

How to apply for Own Improvement

Applying for permission is free, easy and can be done in several ways.

  • Try our St. Leger smart APP, you can add a photo of where you want to carry out work.
  • Complete and return our application form. Documents available to the right.
  • Contact our Customer Own Improvement Team who will complete an application over the phone.
  • Call into your local St. Leger office and complete an application form.

Once we have received your application your request will be considered.  This might involve one of our inspectors visiting your home to discuss your plans with you.

You will be notified of our decision along with any conditions that are attached to the permission.  If permission is not granted, you can appeal through our complaints process.

You should not start any improvements or alterations until we have confirmed you can do so.

Planning permission, Permitted Development and Building Regulations

 Sometimes the improvements you want may require planning permission, adherence to building regulations or confirmation that it falls within your permitted development rights.        

These are administrated by Doncaster Council and may incur a charge.  For more information please visit - Planning Portal - The UK Government's online planning and building regulations resource



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS