St Leger Homes of Doncaster

Gas Servicing and Safety Checks


The facts

  • Gas servicing is free for tenants with gas fires and gas central heating appliances installed by us or our contractors.
  • Servicing will take around 40 minutes per appliance.
  • We are bound by law to carry out an annual gas safety check on your gas.
  • Your appointment will be sent to you through the post. If the appointment is not convenient contact us and we will change it;
  • If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector installed when we carry out your service, we will install one free of charge.
  • We will test any smoke and carbon monoxide detectors you have installed, during the service. 
  • Even if you do not use your appliances or only use part of your appliances we still need to do the service 

 Our duty

  • We will write to you giving you 10 days notice of the service.
  • We will ensure all your appliances are maintained in a safe condition.
  • We will give you a copy of your gas service record on the day of the service.

 Your duty

  • You must let us in to your home to carry out gas safety checks. If we cannot access your home to carry out the service we will get a warrant through the courts to gain entry.
  • If you have any doubts about your gas safety, turn off your gas and contact us immediately.
  • Always keep your servicing appointment.
  • If you think your gas has not been serviced a year after installation then contact us immediately.
  • Not letting us in to service your gas is a breach of your tenancy.

 Gas leaks

If you suspect you have a gas leak in your home, you should:-

  • Turn off the meter at the control valve.
  • Open any doors and windows.
  • Put out naked flames.
  • Not smoke or strike any matches.
  • Not turn electrical switches on or off as they cause sparks.
  • Keep people away from the area.
  • Not use any phone at your home to report the gas leak.
  • Contact TRANSCO emergency freephone number on 0800 111 999.

 Top gas tips

  • Never use a gas appliance that you suspect may not be working properly.
  • Do not try to alter or repair a gas appliance yourself, contact us.
  • Never block any vents as this will shut out the fresh air that your appliance needs to burn safely.
  • Check that nothing is blocking outside grills, flues or airbricks.
  • Only use gas appliances for what they were designed for. For example, do not use a cooker to heat a room.
  • Take care when buying second-hand appliances, make sure the dealer gives you a written guarantee and always ask for a copy of the user manual.
  • You need to ask us for permission if you are planning to fit a gas appliance.
  • Under no circumstances should you use any room in your property as your sleeping area if a gas fire or gas fire and back boiler is in the room. If you have to move your bedroom into your living room with a gas fire then please contact us before doing so.

If you would like to know when your gas or solid fuel fire will be serviced please click here.

Always remember, whenever anyone comes to your door to always ask for their ID.  If you would like a password from our operative before you give them entry to your home please phone us to let us know.

If you want any more information about gas servicing, please phone or email us. 

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is colourless and does not smell or taste of anything. A carbon monoxide leak is not the same as a gas leak, but is just as deadly. It is a poisonous gas that can come from any appliance that is using either gas, oil, wood or coal.

There are some signs you can look out for to indicate you are at risk from carbon monxide poisoning:

  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked.
  • Yellow/brown  staining or soot around or on appliances. 
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out.
  • Increased condensation inside windows. 

While a carbon monoxide alarm will alert you to carbon monoxide in your home, it is no substitute for having an annual service of your appliances by a qualified engineer.

Take Care - Be Aware

Being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life. The symptoms are:

  • headaches

  • dizziness 

  • nausea 

  • breathlessness 

  • collapse 

  • loss of consciousness 

Symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common to mistake carbon monoxide poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Your symptoms only occur when you are at home.

  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return.

  • Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time. 

Some of the things you can do to ensure you are safe from carbon monoxide exposure are:

  • Let us in your property to service your appliances.

  • Make sure there is enough fresh air in the room containing your appliances - check nothing is blocking grills, flues, airbricks or vents;

  • If you are planning to fit a gas appliance you must ask for our permission first;

  • If you have a coal fire ensure that the fire is serviced by us each year.

What to do if you suspect your appliance is leaking carbon monoxide

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off your appliances and leave the house.

  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check 
  • Contact us immediately to inspect your appliances and flues;
  • Do not use your appliances until we tell you it is safe to do so.

Checking your electrics

Because the electrics in your home can deteriorate over the years we need to check them every 5 years.

This check gives you the peace of mind that the electrics in your home are safe. The check will ensure

  • Your electrical circuits or equipment are not overloaded
  • Any potential electrical shock risks and fire hazards in your electrical installation are identified
  • Any defective electrical work is found
  • Any lack of earthing or bonding can be found

The check will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete and will be done by our own operatives. There will be very little disruption but we may need to switch off your electrics during the check.

We will contact you to arrange an appointment for the work to be carried out. If you need to re-arrange your appointment please let us know as soon as possible. We do need to carry out the check to meet legislation and to ensure that your home is safe so if we have difficulty gain access we will work with our estates teams to gain access.



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS