St Leger Homes of Doncaster is offering advice to all working age tenants in receipt of benefits as changes to the benefit system could affect the amount of money they receive - and also the way in which it is paid.
People making new applications for a number of benefits will now be moved onto Universal Credit. This will also affect those people already claiming benefits who have a change in circumstances.
All claims are now managed online by a claimant’s own ‘online benefit account’. They will receive all correspondence such as appointments from the Jobcentre, notices advising them of changes in circumstances through this online account.
Tenants on Universal Credit will need to remember:
- They will need an active bank account or credit union account
- They will have to wait around six weeks for their first payment to be made into their bank account but can claim an advance from the Jobcentre
- They will need their own email address and regular internet access
- There will be no opportunity to backdate claims
Who does it affect?
This will affect anyone of working age making a new claim for Housing Benefit; Child Tax Credit; Income support; Working Tax Credit; Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance will now be directed onto Universal Credit.
These ‘old-style’ benefits will be closed down to any new claims.
- Families with three or more children, will still claim the ‘old-style’ benefits until November 2018
- Universal Credit does not affect pensioners
How can St Leger Homes help?
For money management advice – visit our moneywise website at www.slhdmoneywise.co.uk or contact us on 01302 862862 and ask for the Financial Inclusion Team who will ensure you get the help you need, including:
- Specialist support advice
- Referrals to external support providers
- Help to set up a Credit Union account to pay bills, help you save or access affordable credit and we’ll even pay your set up costs!
Paul Tanney, Chief Executive at St Leger Homes, said:
“The next phase of Universal Credit went live in Doncaster on 11th October and we want to ensure people are prepared, as we know that under the Government’s changes many of our tenants could lose money if they are not able to make their claim promptly.
“We are working closely with our Council colleagues and local Jobcentre staff to ensure people have access to appropriate support across Doncaster. If you need further assistance do ring 01302 862862 and ask for our Financial Inclusion Team, or email direct to firstname.lastname@example.org – we’re happy to help.”
More information on Universal Credit and further money management advice that St Leger Homes can offer, please visit: www.slhdmoneywise.co.uk/