St Leger Homes of Doncaster

Universal Credit update - March 2020


Rent change if you are claiming Universal Credit

If you are one of our tenants, you will have received a letter from us advising you of an increase in your rent from 6th April 2020. If you are claiming Universal Credit (UC), the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) may require you to report the change via your online journal. 

If you see a ‘To Do’ entitled ‘Update your Housing Costs’ on your online journal it is important that you update this change immediately. If you fail to do this you will not receive the correct amount of Universal Credit as you will be paid at your previous lower rent.  This means that you would have to pay the shortfall yourself as paying your rent is your responsibility.

Here are some points which may help you:

  • When can I report the change to my rent?

You can only report the change on or after the date that it happens. Your rent change takes place on 6th April 2020. This is the date when you will need to check whether you have a ‘To Do’ on your online journal.

  •  How do I report the change?

Before you start you will need your rent change letter which was sent to you in March as this will tell you how much your new rent charge is. If you don’t have this to hand you can contact us on 01302 862862 and we can tell you your new amount.

To report the change you will need to log on to your online Universal Credit journal. You will receive a ‘To Do’ from DWP at the beginning of April. This will ask you specific questions about your new rent such as:

How much is my rent?

It is important you put the exact amount shown on your letter.

How often do I pay my rent?

The rent on your rent change letter is weekly, so please ensure that you update your journal as weekly.

  • What happens if I don’t report the change?

When your rent has increased, if you fail to report this change via your ‘To Do’ you will be underpaid Universal Credit. This means you must pay the shortfall from other elements of your Universal Credit.

  • What if I don’t have an online journal?

Some Universal Credit customers do not have an online journal and will, therefore, be unable to complete the rent change online. If this is the case, you will be required to call the Universal Credit service centre to report the change on 0800 328 5644. 



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS