With Winter fast approaching and temperatures starting to drop we are encouraging tenants to be prepared for cold weather. Follow these top tips:
1. Heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F).
If you cannot work your heating controls contact our repairs service on 01302 862862.
2. Get financial support
If you’re struggling with your heating bill, make sure you check whether you could reduce your costs by switching energy suppliers. Call the Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234, or speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau on 03454 04 05 06
3. Look after yourself
- Contact your GP to get your free flu jab if you are aged 65 or over, live in a residential or nursing home, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person. NHS Choices provides information about flu. Visitwww.nhs.uk/flu to learn more.
- Don’t delay in getting treatment for minor winter ailments like colds or sore throats. Visit your local pharmacist for advice on treatment before it gets worse so you can recover quicker.
- Layer your clothing whether you are indoors or outside.
- Wear shoes with a good grip if you need to go outside.
- When you’re indoors, try not to sit still for more than an hour or so. Get up, stretch your legs and make yourself a warm drink.
4. Make sure you’ve allowed us access to your home for your gas safety check
5. Check the weather forecast
6. Think whether it is absolutely necessary to travel and allow plenty of time for your journey, clearing all windows of snow and ice using a scraper and de-icer and ensuring you have emergency equipment in your car, e.g.torch, first aid kit and shovel