St Leger Homes of Doncaster


Universal Credit
MoneyWise logo

Universal Credit


Universal Credit is a new monthly payment for working-age claimants and replaces the following benefits and tax credits:    

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credit

When will Universal Credit affect me?    

Universal Credit was introduced to Doncaster in September 2015 and is currently only available for new claims from single, childless people who would have normally have made a claim for Jobseekers Allowance. 

Between January 2017 and June 2018: Couple and families making a new claim for one of the 6 benefits being replaced, will be able to claim Universal Credit.

Between June 2018 and 2021: Tenants already claiming one of the 6 benefits being replaced,  will be automatically transferred onto Universal Credit.

By the end of 2021: Universal Credit will be fully in place and the 6 benefits being replaced, will have been phased out.

You will be responsible for paying rent

Once claiming Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit will no longer be paid to St. Leger Homes and your housing costs will be paid directly to you instead.

How can I prepare for Universal Credit?

There are a number of things you need to consider when claiming Universal Credit.  You need to have the right bank account, have access to the internet and be able to manage a monthly budget. Click here for more information. 

Which benefits will continue to be paid separately?    

  • Local Council Tax Support (previously Council Tax Benefit)    

  • Child Benefit   
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Contributions Based)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (Contributions Based) 
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Carer’s Allowance        
  • Social Fund        
  • Other Benefits not listed above such as Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay & Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Other benefits such as Child Benefit, Personal Independence Payments and Contributions Based Employment & Support Allowance and Jobseekers Allowance will continue to be paid separately

Links to useful information:

Universal Credit: Frequently asked questions

How Universal Credit helps make work pay 

How Universal Credit works for the self-employed

How Universal Credit affects families

How to make a Universal Credit claim as a family

How Universal Credit affects couples

How to make a Universal Credit claim as a couple

Find out more about Universal Credit on the Money Advice Service website and at



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS