St Leger Homes of Doncaster

Struggling to pay your rent?

Coping with Debt Image


What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay rent, it is vital that you contact us immediately and ask to speak to your Income Management Officer. Call us on 01302 862862 and select option 2, drop into your local St. Leger Homes area office or click here for more information on help we can provide.

You will be asked to explain your situation. If you can't pay all your rent we will aim to agree a manageable payment arrangement and advise on the benefits you may be entitled to, including Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Do not ignore the problem. If you continue not to pay you could be at risk of losing your home.

How do I claim help with my rent and Council Tax?

If you are working age you may be entitled to Universal Credit which also includes Housing Costs (help with rent). 

Click here for more information and how to claim.

You will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support which can be done on the Doncaster Council's website.

If you are of pension age and on a low income, you may be entitled to Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. You can claim Pension Credit by calling 0800 99 1234. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can be claimed online at the Doncaster Council's websiteAlternatively you can collect a claim form and hand it in at any St. Leger Homes' area office.

Do not delay in claiming benefits as it could reduce the amount you receive.

What should I do while I am waiting for Universal Credit/Housing Benefit to be paid?

Let us know your situation. We will advise if you need to pay some rent while waiting for your claim to be processed. You may have rent to pay because your benefit may not cover your full rent charge.

You can also use the benefits calculator to see how much  you will qualify for.

What happens if I don't pay my rent?

As a tenant of St. Leger Homes, we expect you to pay your rent and other charges every week. If you are struggling to pay we will do all we can to advise you and agree to a manageable payment arrangement. 

However, if you do not keep to the arrangement then you will be served with a notice for breach of your Tenancy Agreement. 

If you still fail to pay your rent we will apply to County Court for possession of your home.  If you go to court:

  • you will have to pay costs of at least £355
  • you could have a county court judgement against your name
  • you could be evicted from your home

If you are evicted:

  • you will still have to pay the debt
  • you will have to pay a warrant fee of £130
  • you will be charged for changing the locks
  • you may be considered as being 'intentionally homeless' so will not be rehoused by us or any other council or housing association 

Click here for more information on eviction.

Remember don’t ignore the problem. We can help. Call 01302 862862, option 2, or drop into your local St. Leger Homes area office and ask to speak to an Income Management Officer. If you need some tenancy support, click here for more information on help we can provide. 

Powered by EasySite™ CMS