St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo
Retirement Image


Many people look forward to retirement, but it can also be a difficult time financially. Older people can feel reluctant to claim the benefits they have a right to, and may fall into debt because their money does not stretch far enough. Even a small amount of extra money can go a long way, and you should make sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.

Help and support is available and below you will find many useful links to clear and easy-to-understand information that will help answer your questions.

Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website has provided a guide for both pensioners and people who are approaching pension age. It contains advice on different areas from income such as pension options, to how to save money from household grants and free bus passes.

When will I be Pension Age?

Use our Pension Age calculator to check when you will be abe to claim Pension Credit or State Pension.

What benefits might I be entitled to?

For information about benefits for people over 60, visit the Citizens Advice website.

Find out about all aspects of money, tax and benefits including planning for retirement on the GOV.UK website.

What about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

Many older people do not realise they may be entitled help with their rent and council tax. Find out about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction for the over-60s by downloading a leaflet on the Age UK website.

Can I claim Pension Credit?

Even if you have some savings you can claim Pension Credit to help top up your income. Download a leaflet about Pension Credit for the over-60s on the Age Concern website.

You can also call the Pension Credit helpline on 0800 99 1234 for more information.

Where can I find out more about the State Pension?

Find out about the State Pension at Age UK or at GOV.UK.

You can also call the State Pension helpline on 0845 300 1084 for more information

I think I may have paid in for a pension, but I've lost my paperwork

You can track down any pensions you might have. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Can I get help with NHS healthcare costs?

Even if you are not exempt from prescription or dental charges, you may be entitled to help with prescription and dental costs if you are on a low income. Find out more on the NHS Low Income Scheme website.

Will my home alarm service service be paid for?

The cost of the service is £3.20 per week or £41.60 per quarter, however customers aged 65 and over and in receipt of Housing or Council Tax benefit for financial reasons will receive the service free of charge. Find out more on the Doncaster Council website.

Am I too old to work?

Find out more about looking for work or starting a business for the over-50s on the Age UK website.

My employer says I have to retire, is that right?

Find out more about retirement and your rights on the GOV.UK website.

Can I get help with my fuel bills?

If you are over Pension Age you should be entitled to a winter fuel payment. Find out more on the GOV.UK website 

I'm caring for someone, can I claim any benefits?

You may be able to claim Carer's Allowance. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

I need personal care, can I claim any benefits?

For information about adult social care in Doncaster visit the 'Your Life Doncaster' website

If you require personal care you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Easy-to-understand information about benefits

Visit the GOV.UK website for clear and straightforward information about what benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim them.

Find out more about claiming benefits

To find out about making a new claim for benefits, ring the Pension Service free on 0800 99 1234, 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday. For more information about benefits you already receive, ring 0845 60 60 265.

Work out what you might be entitled to

Use our benefits calculator to work out what benefits you might be entitled to.

You can also visit our 'Maximise your income' page  to find out what else you might be able to do to increase your income .



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS