St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo
Loosing Your Job Image

Losing your Job

Employment changes

Both starting and ending a job can be worrying times. If you start a new job, you may worry about how this will affect your benefits. If you lose your job, you will naturally worry about how you will cope financially, and you may find yourself falling into debt. Help and support is available and below you will find many useful links to clear and easy-to-understand information that will help answer your questions.

I've lost my job, what should I do?

If you have lost your job, you may be entitled to the following benefits;

Use our benefits calculator to work out what benefits you might be entitled to.

If you think you shouldn't have lost your job, you can check whether your employer followed the correct procedure.

If you want to speak to a Citizens Advice Bureau adviser, you can find your nearest bureau here.

Also, find out more about how to manage your money on our 'Managing your money' and 'Managing money problems' pages.

Finding work

You can search and apply for jobs on the GOV.UK website.

I'm looking for work, am I entitled to any benefits?

For more information about benefits for people who are looking for work, visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.

Find help and advice about looking for work on the GOV.UK website.

I don't know if I will be better off or worse off if I take a job

Visit our benefit calculator to check your entitlement to benefits.

What will happen to my benefits when I start work?

Some of your benefits will end, some can continue for a while, and you may be entitled to other benefits. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

I've been made redundant, how much money should I get?

Find out about redundancy pay and your rights on the GOV.UK website.

My employer says I have to retire, is that right?

Find out more about retirement and your rights on the GOV.UK website.

I can't work because I'm ill, what am I entitled to?

You are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you have been working and earning at least £111 a week on average. It does not matter how long you have been working. Check if you are eligible to SSP.

Find out more about Statutory Sick Pay on the GOV.UK website.

If you cannot work because you are ill, you may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance.

Find out more about Employment and Support Allowance on the GOV.UK website.

Your employer may also have their own sick pay scheme.

You may also be entitled to the following benefits;

I can't claim sick pay or Employment and Support Allowance, what should I do?

You may be entitled to Income Support if you are on a low income. Find out more about Income Support on the GOV.UK website.

I'm disabled, what help is available?

Find out what financial help you may be entitled to if you are disabled – whether or not you are working – on the GOV.UK website.

Advice for disabled people on finding work is available on the GOV.UK website.

Find out more about claiming benefits

To find out about claiming benefits, ring Jobcentre Plus free on 0800 055 6688, 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday. Textphone 0800 023 4888.

It is very important to tell the benefits departments straight away about any changes in your circumstances or income.

Powered by EasySite™ CMS