St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo

Divorce and Separation

Dealing with divorce or a separation can be a hugely traumatic time, not just for the couple but for all family members.

Most people find it extremely difficult to deal with the event, the financial and legal side and worries about the future. 

Receiving guidance and counselling on relationship problems

If you need help and someone to talk to over relationship problems, contact your local Relate office. Relate is the country's largest provider of relationship support. Not only can Relate offer help and support about current relationship problems, but they can also help you deal with past relationships or if you have been affected by a breakdown of another relationship, such as your parents.

For information on Relate and how they can help you, visit the Relate website.

Alternatively visit which shows you where to find further help and support.

How to get help and legal advice

You may be able to make your own arrangements when a relationship breaks down, or you may need to seek legal advice or outside help. You may need to make arrangements on:

  • Who will look after your children

  • How you will divide money and possessions

  • What you will do about property and living arrangements

If you are finding it difficult agreeing with your ex partner, there is different help and support out there.

A mediator is an independant person who can work with both of you to reach an agreement. Although it is not free, you may qualify for Legal Aid to pay for the mediation sessions. For more information on mediators, visit the Family Mediation Council website.

If you are still finding it difficult to make arrangements and also need help to end the relationship, the next step is normally to seek help from a solicitor. Solicitors will negotiate with your partner (usually through their solicitors) to try and reach an agreement.

If you need a solicitor, you should first check to see if you are entitled to legal aid. You can do this by contacting Community Legal Advice on 08453 454345, emailing, or by texting legalaid and your name to 80010 to request a free call back.

For more information on divorce, including divorce without using a solicitor, visit the Gov.UK website.



St Leger Court
White Rose Way
Tel: 01302 862862
Powered by EasySite™ CMS