St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo
Pre Pay Meters Image

Discounts and Support

We all have to pay for the gas and electricity we use, but are you paying more than need to? Use the information on this page to reduce your bills or get help paying them.

I’m worried about paying my heating bills, where can I get help?

Doncaster Council's Energy Team offer free practical advice for people who are worried about paying their energy bills.

Call free on 01302 737053. The Energy Team can give you information about:

  • Energy saving grants and how to apply

  • Energy saving tips

  • How to apply for money set aside by energy suppliers to help customers in financial difficulty

You can also call if you are worried about someone else such as a relative or friend.

You can also visit Doncaster Council's Energy Team's website for more information.

Am I entitled to any discounts or support?

The Warm Home Discount Scheme (WHDS) offers eligible customers a one-off payment on their electricity bill.

Find out whether you qualify for the Warm Home Discount here.

Cold Weather Payments are given to people receiving certain benefits but only when their local temperature is recorded, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

The scheme runs from 1 November 2016 to 31 March 2017. Find out whether you qualify for a Cold Weather Payment here.

Winter Fuel Payments are given to people born on or before 5 May 1953. If entitled, you will usually be entitled to a lump sum towards your fuel bill. This is called the Winter Fuel Payment.

Find out more about Winter Fuel Payments on the GOV.UK website.

You can also ring the Winter Fuel Helpline on 0845 9 15 15 15.

You can no longer make a claim for past winters.

Vulnerable customers

All gas and electricity suppliers keep a register of vulnerable customers who are entitled to a range of free services and benefits. You can ask to be added to this register if you are:

  • of pensionable age

  • disabled

  • chronically sick; or

  • hearing and/or visually impaired

You can find out how to become a priority customer with your energy supplier on the Citizens Advice website.

You can also ring your energy supplier to ask to go on the priority services register. Remember your energy supplier may not use the term 'priority services register'.

Powered by EasySite™ CMS