St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo

What will my options be?

If you are affected by the Benefit Cap, there are options available to you:

Paid/self employment

This should be the first option to consider. You can search and apply for jobs on the GOV.UK website. 

If you work enough hours to be entitled to Working Tax Credit (16 hours per week for lone parents and 24 hours per week for couples - with one of you working at least 16 hours) then you will no longer be affected by the Benefit Cap. You can find out more about Working Tax Credits here. 

Information on childcare funding can be found on Doncaster's Family Information Service website here.

If you live in one of our homes and you need help getting into work, you can register for the World of Work Academy, which is a step-by-step programme to help you try different jobs at St Leger Homes and build up your skills. Furthermore it won't affect your benefits unless you are offered a paid position and you choose to accept it.

For further help getting into to work Business Doncaster provide personalised support to improve your skills, find suitable training opportunities or to gain a better job. For more details contact Business Doncaster on 01302 735555. 

Manage your money

For help and advice on managing your money, our budgeting page will help you keep your expenditure in check. 

Discretionary Housing Payments

You can claim Discretionary Housing Payments from the Housing Benefit department. However this is only a short term solution and you there is no guarantee you'll qualify. The Housing Benefit department will also need to be satisfied that you are attempting to change your circumstances to overcome the benefit cap.

The Department for Work and Pensions has provided a helpline for those affected by the cap.
The number is 0345 6057064 or textphone 0345 6088551 for people with hearing or speech impairments. The helpline is open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Powered by EasySite™ CMS