St Leger Homes of Doncaster
MoneyWise logo

Maximise Income

Many people aren't receiving all the income they can. Use the tips below to check if there is any more income available to you.

Firstly, check what benefits you may be entitled to.

As well as claiming benefits, there are other ways to increase your income:

Paid/self employment

This should be the first option to consider. You can search and apply for jobs on the GOV.UK website.   

If you live in one of our homes you can register for the World of Work Academy, which is a step-by-step programme to help you try different jobs at St Leger Homes and build up your skills. Furthermore it won't affect your benefits unless you are offered a paid position and you choose to accept it.

For further help getting into to work, Business Doncaster provide personalised support to improve your skills, find suitable training opportunities or to gain a better job. For more details contact Business Doncaster on 01302 735555. 

Paying their fair share

Make sure that any adult children or other relatives living with you are paying their fair share towards household expenses.

New baby on a low income?

If you have a new baby and are on a low income, you may be entitled to a Sure Start maternity grant.  Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Tax Credits

Tax Credits are paid to you if you have children or you are on a low wage. You do not have to be paying tax to receive Tax Credits.  Most families with children qualify for Child Tax Credits. To find out more about Child Tax Credit visit the GOV.UK website.    

If you are on a low wage you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. Single working age people must work at least 30 hours per week to qualify for Working Tax Credits. Lone parents must work at least 16 hours per week. Couples must work at least 24 hours per week, with one of them working 16 hours. There are exceptions to these rules. To find out more about Working Tax Credit visit the GOV.UK website

To get an estimate of how much Tax Credits you could claim, click here. If you are already claiming Universal Credit, it will already include an equivalent payment.

Help with NHS charges

Even if you are not exempt from prescription or dental charges, you may be entitled to help with prescription and dental costs if you are on a low income. Find out more on the NHS Low Income Scheme website.

Redundancy pay

If you have been made redundant, make sure you receive all the money you are entitled to. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Maintenance for children

Is your ex-partner paying towards the cost of any children you have together, or are they paying enough? Find out more about claiming the maintenance you are entitled to from your ex-partner.

Winter fuel payment

If you are pension age you should be entitled to a winter fuel payment. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Help with Supporting People charges

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, services such as the home alarm service can be paid for by the Supporting People grant. Find out more about the Supporting People grant.

Rent out a room

If you have a spare room, you might be able to rent it out for some extra income. Discuss this first with your local St. Leger Homes office and then make sure it will not affect any benefits you are receiving. If anyone moves into your house, you should tell the Housing Benefit department immediately. If you receive other state benefits, you must also let the Department for Work and Pensions know. Other people living in your home may result in changes to your benefit entitlement, and their behaviour may also impact on your tenancy. 

Are you a parent going back to work?

Find out about the financial and other help available if you have children and are going back to work.

Disabled and want to go back to work?

Find out about what support and financial help is available.

It is very important to tell the benefits departments straight away about any changes in your circumstances or income.

Powered by EasySite™ CMS